Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A moment in time

Recently I've been giving attention to what it means to slow down and appreciate a moment.  I've learned all too often that many "life lessons" are the tail end of someone else's experience. That is to say they are a reflection on their past rather than equipping others for living.  If I try to bend, twist and pull their "life lessons" into my current circumstances, I just burn myself out trying to be someone else.

Having learned this lesson, has brought about a great sense of relief, as I have allowed myself to try and live out someone else's experiences.  Instead, I'm more inclined to hear the person out, see if and how their experiences may be helpful to my present circumstances or attitudes.  

That being stated, please read the post by embracing the understanding  that these tips are my experiences along my life journey, and just may provide some equipping to you along yours...

1. Come as you are, not as you think you ought to be.

I found myself in the habit of criticizing what I ought to be instead of looking around and seeing what is happening in the moment.  Grace for the moment goes a long way. 

2. Be open to the next thing coming, but not too anxious for it.

In my faulty attempts to live in the moment, I've tried staying in the moment by controlling it--or--zooming right past it, on to the next thing.  Neither one of these work.  It's important to recognize and to adjust when the time has come to move on, but no need to run toward change before you appreciate the present.

3.  Remove what you know hinders or distracts you.  

Yesterday I googled "how to stop surfing the web".  It's quite a funny thing to search for, considering that you are looking on the web for tips on how not to use the web.  The point is, I know I've recently spent too much time online and there is a time to remove the  distraction.

Enjoy today!


1 comment:

Karina said...

I often fell lazy due to my excessive interneting but I feel like I can't get motivated to do other things solo. You need to move closer so we can be alone together and motivate eachother to not be lazy turds.